This building at California and Hirsch across from Chicago’s Humboldt Park was originally built as the Daughters of Zion Jewish Day Nursery and Infant Home, designed by architects Dubin & Eisenberg in 1910. It was one of many in the area - by the 1930s, the vicinity of West Town, Humboldt Park, and Logan Square had a Jewish community that numbered around 30,000.

(Historic Image Source: Ryerson & Burnham Archives)

Notes

  1. wabuffet reblogged this from doucly
  2. doucly reblogged this from chicagogeek
  3. myvoicemyright reblogged this from chicagogeek
  4. southsidekillak reblogged this from chicagogeek
  5. ludovikashangulat reblogged this from chicagogeek
  6. chicagogeek posted this